I used to dream of the perfect Panama hat and when I finally bought a nice $60 one, it took me i trip to bend information technology completely out of shape.

While there are how-to's on how to prepare and reshape a straw hat, my first error was non knowing how to pack a lid without destroying it.

Just in fourth dimension for summer, I've compiled a listing of unlike summer hats and handy ways to pack them so you can enjoy the fashion and protective benefits of a hat on your next trip.

1. Pack a baseball cap

This low-stakes option is sporty and cool and requires mode less care than a large straw hat. The only tricky thing about these is making sure you lot don't identify anything heavy on the cap as to flatten it (unless it's a apartment cap, of course). Information technology's by and large easier to clean too.

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat

2. Roll your hat

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat-6

Some hats have a little more flexibility so y'all can experiment with packing them flat or fifty-fifty rolling them. These hats are as well often cheap options, like this black one was $x at H&M.

three. Flatten your hat

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat-3

Pack your lid flat? Blasphemy, no? Not if it was designed that way. I have somewhat given up on the high-maintenance hats myself since I always end up getting mine wet or tossing it in my beach bag. That'southward why I picked up a simple canvas i I can lay flat without worrying virtually shape.

4. Stuff your chapeau

how to pack a hat

The best manner to maintain the shape of your hat in a suitcase is to cradle it like the precious object it is. Lay your hat upside down in your suitcase and pack your clothing around it. Use modest items like socks and underwear to stuff the inside.

5. Wearable your lid on the plane

If all else fails, there is always the option to agree it or wear it in transit. I've done this quite a bit mostly because I can't spare the room in my pocketbook.

Any style you piece it, it'due south then nice to take a hat in the summer. It'south well worth the trouble of packing a hat like a pro if it will look decent and last longer.

capsule-suitcase-how-to-pack-hat-2

You can article of clothing them, hold them, or even purchase a magnetic prune designed to keep your chapeau hooked onto your baggage or tote handbag.

Bonus Tip: Wear a scarf

I considered adding a section nigh hat boxes, which is totally an option if you lot have a beautiful hat that requires that much care. Simply for the average traveller, using up your personal detail on a hat bag is probably non ideal.

But, 1 bonus tip I'll throw in is to consider packing more scarves that you can wear to cover your caput on hot days. They don't offer the aforementioned confront protection, unfortunately, but they can make a squeamish stylish manner to prevent getting a sunburnt scalp. Plus, scarves offer upwards a ton of other styling options to switch up your await on a trip.

Helpful Resources